Friday, December 31, 2004

dreads


aii too much
Originally uploaded by angeltouch.

sometimes i just cant get over how good they look!
call me vain if u want!
but its my blog..so i can talk about them!
and they are my dreadz..so i will talk about them!
and this morning in the mirror when i looked at them
and last nite when that cute guy told me how much he liked them....

i realised ...
1. they look good,
2. i can barely imagine NOT having them
3. i cant wait for them to grow more
4. they are powerful.

id thought about it for a while...
u know, going 'natty', locking the hair
and to be honest,
it was one of those rebellious things that u think u want to do
especially after 'flying out'...kinda like the tatoo or the piercing thing..
but u can barely bring urself to start.... coz its pretty permanent.

thank GOD i thought about it for a while

then i thought
and thought...
coz i had to know just WHY i was doing it

im not overly conscious.
im not rastafarian;
im not vegetarian;
im not trying to make a mega political statement;
and...my beliefs have not changed!

but...those are all the assumptions people have associated with my dreads.
from family, to friends and relatives and the church congregation,
to random people on the streets,
and beach boys in coasto (sunny mombasa)
to the dreads in the clubs who think they have found their 'sistah'

my dreads make a statement,
about me...
about my life...
about my future...
and thats a statemnt that I have to listen to as well...

and configure...to say what i want it to say:

i like the simplicity of my life since my dreads...
thats my statement against over-consumption, drama and insincerity

i like the conversations started with random people coz of my dreads..
thats my proof that barriers can be broken down, and that differences and curiousity can be harmonized to create discourses...and who knows what those could lead us to

i like knowing that what my hair is doing, is natural (with abit of help from my incessant twisting)...

and that reminds me that in everything... there is a time
and a method
and a reason
and a plan!!
and at the end of the day, inspite of our technological advances, our artificial body alterations,and our biological and genetic modifications...
NATURE will take her course!

im still trying to figure out where i fit in this universe...
and it still puzzles me how something as simple as hair, can make me realise so much...and more...

im still realising....
and this is where im going to keep telling u what it is that im realising!
so sit back and watch this space for
...dread-lizations...

4 comments:

nehanda said...

sista gyrl, i hear you..once i was dreaded, each tendril, each twist, drew me closer to the well, overflowing with the sweetness of love..when the love teacher departed, i chopped it all of, in fits of anger, confused, if love felt all so real, why did it hurt so much..i have yet to trust my self again..

AfroFeminista said...

I love your post on dreads. You say it so well, all the stuff I wish sometimes to tell people who ask me if I'm a rastafarian or what statement I'm making.

The simplicity has always been my dreads raison d'etre...a statement against spending oodles on time at salons and being dissed for not having hair that could cooperate!

Thank you for saying it so well.

Unknown said...

Great post, I enjoyed reading it.

Adding you to favorites, Ill have to come back and read it again later.

Webmaster said...

Looks like you have way more articles on yourhair loss solution woman site than I do on my hair loss solution womansite. Well, I just started.