Friday, March 18, 2005

dread-lizations

the much awaited dreadlizations continue...

so all the people around...well i should be more specific...all the males around me who have dreads or the really sexy looking 'natty fro'...are now freaking out and CUTTING their wonderfully natural locks....why??
to be presentable for job interviews.
now i can understand that completely...this is your entire career or at least the start to one, and if there is even an inkling of a chance that an employer may pass you up becuase of your 'presentability' then thats something you need to consider.
but still there is another side of me that wonders.

1. its such a part of you. The transformation that you undergo when locking or growing ur hair, the identity that you formulated over the years....that all disappears in 5 minutes for a 25 minute interview for a job that a: you may not get and b: you may hate!
is it worth it?

2. if an employer refuses to hire you based on their personal preferences/ biases towards ones hair, overlooking the qualifications that you may bring to the table, is that really the kind of company i want to work for?

3. is it really the hair thats a problem? or what is assumed the hair means?

4. why is it not such a big deal for female dreads....or is it?

hmmm well..my interview is up in an hour...i will be back with the verdict soon!
blessings and guidance

2 comments:

Wassapangaz said...

I am just starting to grow dreads and my 'mentors' want to cut theirs.I feel you! I dont know whats happening,they are so easy to maintain and look wonderfully wicked.

akiey said...

I can relate to your apprehension & concerns. I had dreads for about 3/4 of my undegraduate years & I really can't put into words how convenient it is to have them. Saves time & that trip to the barbershop.
My family accepted them without flinching & so did my profs. My friends went crazy & 2, a guy & a chick actually went nutty a year into my cutting them (weird huh?).
However, I am tempted to regrow them when I get older-but the short type.
-I (Un)fortunately didn't have to face the interview problems becoz I hadn't had them for a year or so before my 1st major interview.
I doubt I will be against it if my kids want to go dread. I may actually be happy & proud.
Time Will Tell.
PS: Howd'ya interview go?